INSTITUTE for LASER, PLASMA and RADIATION PHYSICS
LABORATORY of SOLID-STATE QUANTUM ELECTRONICS
and development of pure and Yb3+- activated nonlinear
optical borate type crystals for the
realization of NEW
compact and tunable high-power visible solid-state laser sources based on frequency conversion processeS
Cercetarea si dezvoltarea de cristale optic
de tip borat pure si activate cu ioni Yb3+ pentru realizarea de noi
laser de mare putere cu emisie in vizibil, compacte si acordabile, bazate pe procese de conversie de frecventa
PROJECT ACRONIM: BORATESYB
of expertise __________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
to which the project belongs: physics
Keywords: crystal growth, nonlinear optical materials, second-harmonic generation, self-frequency doubling, visible laser sources
The objective of BORATESYB project is to develop pure and Yb-doped high optical quality and large size YCa4O(BO3)3 (YCOB) and LaxGdySc4-x-y(BO3)4 (LGSB) crystals, optimized for high-power frequency conversion and for the realization of new compact and tunable high-power SFD green lasers, in the case of Yb-doped crystals.
Obiectivul proiectului BORATESYB consta in dezvoltarea cristalelor YCa4O(BO3)3 (YCOB) si LaxGdySc4-x-y(BO3)4 (LGSB) pure si dopate cu Yb de calitate optica inalta si dimensiuni mari, optimizate pentru conversia de frecventa la puteri mari si pentru realizarea de noi laseri compacti si tunabili SFD de putere mare, in cazul cristalelor dopate cu Yb.
BORATESYB project is
a joint research
Quantum Electronics Laboratory - SSQEL
of the National
Institute for Laser, Plasma & Radiation Physics - INFLPR,
Romanian project team: Dr. Gheorghe Lucian, project manager
Dr. Dascalu Traian
Dr. Georgescu Serban
Dr. Pavel Nicolaie
Dr. Gheorghe Cristina
Dr. Achim Alexandru
Laboratoire de Chimie de la Matière Condensée de
Paris - LCMCP de l’École Nationale Supérieure de Chimie de
Paris (ENSCP) - Chimie ParisTech, France.
French project team: Dr. Loiseau Pascal, project manager
Dr. Aka Gerard
Eng. Lejay Julien
Eng. Khaled Federico, PhD student
1. Development of pure and Yb-doped NLO crystals of LaxGdySc4-x-y(BO3)4 (LGSB) with high optical quality and relatively large-size (10 to 15 mm in diameter and 20 to 30 mm in length), optimized for frequency conversion in the green spectral range and for the realization of new compact and tunable SFD green lasers, in the case of Yb-doped crystals / coordinator SSQEL, ROMANIA
- All the synthesized compounds have been characterized by X-ray diffraction (XRD) and differential thermal analysis (DTA) measurements. The obtained results have allowed to determine the Gd, and respectively, Yb contents that induce the complete transition from the monoclinic structure (space group C2/c) of LaSc3(BO3)4 (LSB) to the trigonal huntite-type structure (space group R32), which imply the acquirement of nonlinear optical (NLO) properties for La1-xGdxSc3(BO3)4 and La1-xYbxSc3(BO3)4 compounds preserving the congruent melting character.
- A large variety of LaxGdyScz(BO3)4 (x +y + z = 4) - LGSB and LaxYbwGdyScz(BO3)4 (x + w + y + z = 4) - LGSB:Yb compositions (within the congruent melting range of existence) were selected as melt compositions for the growth by the Czochralski method of new NLO test crystals of LGSB and LGSB:Yb - type. Based on the evaluation of NLO properties of the grown crystals, and also on the spectroscopic properties in the case of LGSB:Yb-type crystals, the optimum contents of La, Gd, and Sc in the case of LGSB crystals, and respectively La, Gd, Sc, and Yb in the case of LGSB:Yb crystals, were determined.
- The crystal growth parameters were optimized and high optical quality and relatively large-size single crystals of LGSB and LGSB:Yb - type were grown by the Czochralski method for the first time.
- The NLO properties of LGSB and LGSB:Yb - type grown crystals were evaluated. Laser tests performed on the grown crystals have demonstrated their capability to generate highly efficient laser emission at 532 nm by second harmonic generation (SHG) processes of 1.06 μm laser radiation.
- The spectroscopic and laser emission properties of LGSB:Yb - type grown crystals were characterized, and preliminary investigations concerning the realization of compact and tunable self-frequency-doubling (SFD) green lasers were accomplished.
- The technology for obtaining LGSB and LGSB:Yb - type crystals was transferred to the French partner in order to grow high optical quality and large-size single crystals, optimized for high-power frequency conversion and for the realization of new compact and tunable high-power SFD green lasers, in the case of Yb-doped crystals.
High optical quality
crystals of YCOB and YCOB:Yb - type with dimensions of 25 mm in
120 mm in length were grown by the Czochralski method.
- The NLO properties of the grown crystals were characterized and the spectroscopic properties of YCOB:Yb - type crystals were evaluated and correlated with NLO properties.
- Laser experiments related to SHG in YCOB crystals and SFD in YCOB:Yb - type crystals were performed.
- The acquisition of a Czochralski puller adapted to the growth of large-size crystals was finalized and pure and Yb-doped LGSB and YCOB large-size crystals have been grown.
- The NLO properties of large-size LGSB and YCOB grown crystals were characterized and laser experiments related to SHG of fundamental laser radiations in the 1 μm range were performed.
- Laser experiments related to SFD processes in Yb-doped YCOB and LGSB - type crystals were accomplished.
VALORIFICATION OF THE RESULTS
Papers in ISI-indexed journals
1. C. Gheorghe, L. Gheorghe, A. Achim, S. Hau, R. D. Avram, G. Stanciu, “Optical properties of Sm3+ doped strontium hexa-aluminate single crystals,” J. Alloys Compd. 622, 296-302 (2015). [Impact factor: 2.999]
2. C. A. Brandus, L. Gheorghe, T. Dascalu, “Efficient laser operation at 1.06 µm in co-doped Lu3+, Nd3+:GdCa4O(BO3)3 single crystal,” Opt. Mat. 42, 376-380 (2015). [Impact factor: 2.062]
3. A. Achim, L. Gheorghe, F. M. Voicu, G. Stanciu, “Blue light production by type-I non-critical phase matching second-harmonic generation in La(Ca1-xSrx)4O(BO3)3 single crystals,” CrystEngComm 17, 4098-4101 (2015) [Impact factor: 4.034]
Papers under review in ISI-indexed journals
1. F. Khaled, P. Loiseau, F. Voicu, A. Achim, S. Hau, C. Gheorghe, G. Croitoru, N. Pavel, L. Gheorghe, and G. Aka, “Spectroscopic properties and laser performances of Yb:LGSB nonlinear optical crystal,” J. Alloys Compd. [Impact factor: 2.999]
III. Papers indexed in other international
1. C. Brandus, L. Gheorghe, T. Dascalu, “Infrared laser emission in a compact CW and quasi-CW diode pumped Nd3+:GdLuCOB laser,” IEEE Conference Proceedings of International Conference on Advanced Optoelectronics and Lasers (CAOL) 2013, 9-13 Sept. 2013, Sudak, Ukraine, 102-103, doi: 10.1109/CAOL.2013.6657543.
2. L. Gheorghe, A. Achim, F. Voicu, G. Stanciu, “Advanced NLO Crystals for Efficient Blue Laser Sources Based on SHG Processes,” Advanced Solid State Lasers, OSA Technical Digest (online) (Optical Society of America, 2015), paper ATu2A.3, doi:10.1364/ASSL.2015.ATu2A.3.
A large volume of obtained results will be the subject of further publication in high impact factor ISI-indexed journals; several manuscripts are now in various stages of completion.
V. Communications at International Conferences
1. L. Gheorghe, “Advanced nonlinear optic crystals for high efficiency visible and UV laser sources based on frequency conversion processes,” ISCP 2012, 8-11 May 2012, Sinaia, Romania (invited presentation).
2. A. Achim, L. Gheorghe, F. Voicu, “Second harmonic generation in new nonlinear optical crystals of Y1-xRxCa4O(BO3)3 (R= Lu, Sc) through non-critical phase matching,” ISCP 2012, 8-11 May 2012,
3. A. Achim, L. Gheorghe, F. Voicu, “Second Harmonic Generation in New Nonlinear Optical Crystals of Y1-xRxCa4O(BO3)3 (R = Lu, Sc) Through Non-Critical Phase Matching,” ROCAM 2012, 28-31 August 2012,
4. L. Gheorghe, A. Achim, P. Loiseau, G. Aka, “Advanced NLO Crystals for UV Light Generation,” ROCAM 2012, 28-31 August 2012, Brasov, Romania (invited presentation).
5. A. Achim, L. Gheorghe, G. Stanciu, F. Voicu, “Efficient second harmonic generation of blue-violet light in type-I noncritical phase matching,” INDLAS 2013, 20-24 May 2013,
6. L. Gheorghe, A. Achim, G. Stanciu, F. Voicu, P. Loiseau, G. Aka, “Development of new nonlinear optical crystals for the design of laser devices emitting in the visible and ultraviolet,” ICCGE-17, 11-16 August 2013, Warsaw, Poland (TuO2, oral presentation).
7. A. Achim, L. Gheorghe, G. Stanciu, “Visible and near UV light production by type-I non-critical phase matching second harmonic generation in Y1-xRxCa4O(BO3)3 (R = Lu, Sc): crystal growth and nonlinear characterization,” TIM 2013, 21-24 November,
8. L. Gheorghe, A. Achim, G. Stanciu, F. Voicu, C. Gheorghe, “Sm3+-doped Sr1-xLaxMgxAl12-xO19 (ASL) single crystals for visible yellow-orange lasers,” ISCP 2014, 23-26 September 2014, Orastie, Romania (I.05, invited presentation).
9. A. Achim, L. Gheorghe, G. Stanciu, “Growth and preliminary characterization of La(Ca1-xSrx)4O(BO3)3 single crystals for SHG in NCPM conditions of 1.03 µm laser emission,” ISCP 2014, 23-26 September 2014,
10. A. Achim, L. Gheorghe, G. Stanciu, F. Voicu, “Blue light production by type-i non-critical phase matching second harmonic generation in La(Ca1-xSrx)4O(BO3)3: crystal growth and nonlinear characterization,” TIM 2014, 20-22 nov 2014,
11. L. Gheorghe, C. Gheorghe, A. Achim, F. Voicu, G. Stanciu, “Novel crystals for yellow-orange lasers,” TIM 2014, 20-22 nov 2014,
12. L. Gheorghe, A. Achim, G. Stanciu, F. Voicu, C. Gheorghe, “Growth and characterization of Sm: ASL crystals for visible lasers,” The 8th International Conference on Advanced Materials, ROCAM 2015, 7-10 Iulie 2015, Bucuresti, Romania (oral presentation).
13. A. Achim, L. Gheorghe, V. Flavius, “Development of new nonlinear optical crystals for efficient blue laser sources,” The 8th International Conference on Advanced Materials, ROCAM 2015, 7-10 Iulie 2015, Bucuresti, Romania (oral presentation).
14. L. Gheorghe, F. Voicu, G. Salamu, F. Khaled, A. Achim, C. Gheorghe, P. Loiseau, N. Pavel, G. Aka, “On the crystal growth of incongruent borate type crystal LaxGdyScz(BO3)4 (x + y + z = 4) by the Czochralski method,” Fifth European Conference on Crystal Growth, ECCG 2015, 9-11 September 2015, Bologna, Italy (oral presentation).
15. F. Khaled, S. Sattayaporn, P. Loiseau, G. Aka, L Gheorghe, “Crystal growth and characterization of an oxy-fluoride crystal (BaCaBO3F) doped with Yb3+ ions for self-frequency doubling: a thrilling challenge,” Fifth European Conference on Crystal Growth, ECCG 2015, 9-11 September 2015, Bologna, Italy (poster presentation).
16. L. Gheorghe, A. Achim, F. Voicu, G. Stanciu, “Advanced NLO crystals for efficient blue laser sources based on SHG processes,” OSA Advanced Solid State Lasers Conference and Exhibition, ASSL 2015, 04 - 09 October 2015, WISTA-Technology Park Adlershof-Berlin, Germany (poster presentation).
|Laboratory of Solid-State Quantum Electronics|